Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The (possible) Book Addict's Bookclub: Classics Edition

So, I've had an idea. Tell me what you think .

I've seen various online bookclubs, and I get lots of good ideas from a lot of them even though I don't usually participate. And our little local neighborhood bookclub group has sort of completely dissipated (due to some of the rather key members moving away or having babies), which really is too bad. :( (I hope we can get it going again sometime soon . . . but decided to give it a rest for a few months at least)

So, I've been thinking that maybe I could have a sort of very informal online bookclub here on my blog. Or in other words, maybe I can tell you the books I'm planning on reading, one a month, and you can choose to read along with me (or not) and then at the end of the month we can talk about it. What do you think?

I kinda thought I would pull books from the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die list (taken from the book of that name), primarily because they are generally considered more "classic" literature and I don't want to be judged for my own more personal reading preferences. And this gets me reading more of them myself to cross of my list. ;)

I have some reservations and concerns about how this will work. First, I get my books from the library and have to put things on hold and wait until they are available. This means that sometimes I'm not able to get a book before the chosen month (for example, I've been waiting for Kerouac's On the Road for 2 months now. There are only 3 holds before me and I have not a clue why on earth it's taken so long). I'm not sure I can be held accountable for always keeping up on this. Also, I am choosing books I have NOT read and therefore cannot vouch for their worth, cleanliness, language, content, value or anything other than that they were on the 1001 list and sounded interesting to me. And I've toyed with the idea of picking a book only every other month, to give more time to acquire and read the book, but then that might get confusing. But a classic a month might be too ambitious? You think? I don't know.

Hm. But if we think it's worth a try, I'm ready to go for it.

Here are some of the ones I've noted that I'd like to read:

1. North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell
2. Cranford - Elizabeth Gaskell
3. On the Road - Jack Kerouac
4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte
5. Shirley - Charlotte Bronte
6. Agnes Grey - Anne Bronte
7. Return of the Native - Thomas Hardy
8. The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
9. The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton
10. The Devil and Miss Prym - Paulo Coelho
11. Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
12. Like Water for Chocolate - Laura Esquivel
13. Cat's Eye - Margaret Atwood
14. Empire of the Sun - J.G. Ballard
15. Tender is the Night - F. Scott Fitzgerald

If I decide to go forward with this idea, I'll put out a schedule with the book listed for each month, but for now I am starting with this one (since I got it for my birthday and already have it in my grimy little hands):

Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell.

So, I decided to just throw the idea out there (to the figurative wolves - haha) and get started on a book for February and then decide what to do from here.
I need input!! Anyone?!?

6 comments:

Karen said...

I'd like to join in if I can find the books.

Colleen said...

I'd be up for that. And if you'd like books to borrow, I *think* I have "On the Road" (didn't like it) and "North and South," (liked it, but the movie was way better), and I know I have "Return of the Native."

bonitinha said...

I'd love to join in! We'll see if I can keep up with the pace. I'm waaay slower at reading classics, but you've got some great selections on your list.

Ashley said...

I will join in when I can, but with a newborn and a 2 yr old and already being in a book club, who knows if I will get to all the books. It sounds fun though.

Christina G. said...

I think it's a fabulous idea!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Wonderful idea! I am totally up for it and very excited.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...