Sunday, May 15, 2011

Reading Round-Up: Jan, Feb, March . . . and April 2011

(see?? I am so far behind, it's ridiculous) For those that don't know, my goal is to do a monthly reading round-up. Yes, monthly. Ha.

Ok, though. Let's just do this. Ahem. Well.
I've read almost 50 books as of today (middle of May). So I am NOT going to list all the books I've read for this round-up. Sorry bout that.

But what I can offer you at this point is a list of some of my favorites that I've read so far this year.
Here goes (these are the ones that earned top-notch 5 star ratings from me on Goodreads):

1. The History of Love - Nicole Krauss
2. So Young Brave and Handsome - Leif Enger
3. Love Walked In - Marisa de los Santos
4. The Writing Life - Annie Dillard (non-fiction)
5. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot (non-fiction)
6. The Little Giant of Aberdeen County - Tiffany Baker
7. The Mother Tongue: English and How it got that way - Bill Bryson (non-fiction)
8. The Hiding Place - Corrie Ten Boom (non-fiction)
9. Keesha's House - Helen Frost (young adult)
10. Kids in the Syndrome Mix of ADHD, LD, Asperger's, Tourette's, Bipolar, And More: The One Stop Guide for Parents, Teachers, and Other Professionals - Martin L. Kutsher (non-fiction)
11. The Power of Kindness - Piero Ferucci (non-fiction)
12. The Gifts of Imperfection - Brene Brown (non-fiction)
13. Snoop: What your stuff says about you - Sam Gosling (non-fiction)
14. The Arrival - Shaun Tan (young adult)
15. Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand (non-fiction)
16. The Lover's Dictionary - David Levithan
17. Girl in a Blue Dress - Gaynor Arnold
18. Loving Each Other - Leo Buscaglia (non-fiction)
19. Play: How It Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul - Stuart Brown

haha. Well, there were more of those than I expected! ;)
Well, enjoy my list. If you're looking for some good books to read, hopefully one of these might strike your fancy. Looks like I hit on some pretty good non-fiction so far this year. Lots of interesting stuff to learn about. And some really good novels as well.

One time soon I might write about how I find books to read and how I pick them. One way is just by seeing if the cover appeals to me. Another is just how much I like the person who recommended it. I know a list like this is pretty much worthless for most people, but sometimes, just sometimes, you can find a good book just by if the title sounds interesting. Well, and I liked the book, too. For whatever that's worth. haha.

(also, go to Goodreads for more reviews of these and other books. I love that site dearly.)

Happy Reading to all and to all a good night.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

I added a couple of these to my to-read list, thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...