Thursday, September 16, 2010

Reading Round-Up - June, July, Aug 2010

I know I have been dreadfully behind in my reading round-ups. Almost unforgivably behind. But see? I always catch up eventually. So you can always forgive me. Eventually. Whatever.


So, over the summer I started my journal re-reading project and it consumed a lot of my normal reading time, believe it or not. haha. (Yes, reading 40+ journals actually did affect how many books I churned through. Especially in Aug when I only read 2 complete books!) However! I've still read a good number of very good, interesting, thought-provoking, entertaining and all around enjoyable books. Hooray!

Here are my superlative awards for each of them.



1. Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art - Madeleine L'Engle

Most Marked up, Underlined and Read-With-A-Pen Book

2. A History of the Amish - Steven M. Nolt

Most Likely To Be Read After Visiting Amish Country ;)

3. The Seven Levels of Intimacy: The Art of Loving and the Joy of Being Loved - Matthew
Kelly


Best Book for Self-Examination and Evaluating All The Important Stuff

4. Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe - Gavin de Becker

Most Likely To Provoke Feelings of Anxiety and Mistrust - haha, just kidding (mostly)

Best Book for Learning to Trust Your Gut Instinct and Teaching Your Kids to Trust Theirs

5. Love - Leo Buscaglia

Most Likely to Induce Warm Fuzzies and Want You To Tell Everyone How Much You Love Them. I Love YOU!! :)

6. Book of a Thousand Days - Shannon Hale

Best Quick Fun Read to Pass Along to Your Adolescent Daughters

7. The School of Essential Ingredients - Erica Bauermeister

Most Likely to Leave You Scrounging Your Kitchen Looking for Something Good to Eat

8. Eldest - Christopher Paolini

Least Likely to Make Me Want to Read Any More From This Series

9. Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation - Lynne Truss

Funniest Book About Grammar and Punctuation Ever. Ever! And - Most Likely to Make You Nervous and Self-Conscious About Every Comma, Semi-Colon, and Ellipses You Ever Used in Your Life. But you'll still laugh.

10. Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression -Brooke Shields

Best First -Hand Account of What Postpartum Depression Feels Like (on this list)

11. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella - Stephenie Meyer

Quickest Dumb Read for Every Twilight Fan

12. Bright Star: Love Letters and Poems of John Keats to Fanny Brawne -John Keats

Most Likely to Leave You Sighing and Longing for Your One True Love to Write You Letters Just Like This

13. The Adoration of Jenna Fox - Mary E Pearson

Best Futuristic "What in the World Would You Do" Make You Think Book

14. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen

Most Likely to Make Me Look at Something I Knew Nothing About a Little Differently
and Wonder What People Who Know Nothing About Me Think

15. Something Borrowed - Emily Giffin

Most Likely To Read and Kinda Wish I Hadn't

16. Born for Love: Reflections on Loving -Leo Buscaglia

Tied for Most Likely to Induce Feelings of Love and Well-Being

17. The Shack - William P. Young

Most Likely to Make Me Look at What I Believe From a Different Perspective

----------------------------------------------------------------

Whew!! That was harder to come up with than I thought it would be (and it shows). Oh well. Well, and I think I mentioned awhile back that I kinda sorta set a lofty goal to read 100 books this year. Only reading 2 books in August has put a little wrench in that gear, but I still think it's possible. (and yes the journal rereading project has been postponed until this goal is met)

Yesterday I counted up and realized I need to read 37 books before the end of Dec! I had already read 3 so far this month, so that puts it at 40 books in 4 months. I can do that. Right? Well, I am surely determined to try. So I made a list on my sidebar to show my progress and you can watch as my list grows and grows! Wohoo! And nothing like a little accountability to up the determination-factor a little. ;)

I figure, you know, Zac has his marathon running and crazy long training runs and pushing himself beyond any normal human limits. And I just have marathon reading, beyond any normal human limits. It's basically the same thing! We're both just crazy!! :)

Sooo, who wants to talk books?!?

1 comment:

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I agree about Eldest. It was painful and I still haven't read the third, even though Kenneth assures me it's not as bad. I adored Jenna Fox.:) Very good "what would you do?" book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...