Sunday, March 21, 2010

Samuel is Six!!

Samuel's sixth birthday was last week and on Saturday he got to have his first 'friend' party! He was very excited and waited anxiously all morning for them to come.


To go along with the bug party theme, we decorated the cupcakes with these super cool bug gummy candies (yay for Oriental Trading Co.!).


I think it turned out pretty cool looking, if I do say so myself.

The kids put together a bug and flower sticker scene.


We played "stick the sticker on the bug's head."


We also played freeze dance to "Flight of the Bumblebee" (and Samuel's choice of "rock and roll songs" - which was a Kidz Bop CD we got from McDonalds long ago). He told us that bugs and rock and roll made a perfect party. Who am I to argue? Of course I was pleased with myself for getting the bumblebee song, even if no one else truly appreciated it - hahaha.
We did a bug hunt out in the front yard (with the plastic bugs and critters borrowed from my neighbor - thanks!) and played a nameless team game that goes something like "let's pretend these fuzzies are bugs and throw them on the other side of the line and see which team ends up with the least." The games didn't always go over so well. His friends were much more interested in playing with Samuel's toys in his room. And, well, a party with 5 little kids with special needs throws a bit of a twist on the whole party thing. It was interesting. But I tried not to stress too much over who was participating or not, and just make sure Samuel was having fun. That was the goal, after all. I do think they all had fun, whether or not they played all the games, though. They were such a cute group of kids. :)

And then of course we had cake, and opened presents. It was so much fun, Samuel ended up on the table. He was really thrilled with his gifts and spent the rest of the day happily playing with them. Yay!

So that was Samuel's party!! As I said before, when his friends were leaving Samuel declared that the party had been "superfun!" so I count that as a success.
And after everyone left, I took a 2 hr nap and then went for a walk to try to decompress from a stressful couple days of party preparation. Whew!
(and here is Zac being very serious about the bug he stayed up until 1 in the morning drawing and cutting. What a good daddy.) :)

3 comments:

bonitinha said...

Awesome party! Bugs and rock & roll... oh yeah! I love planning b-day parties for my kids (though skipping Kate's this year was kind of nice too) but I'm totally with you on the stress of the planning and execution. I'm so glad you got to take a nap afterwards!

Colleen said...

Love the cupcakes! Happy b-day Samuel!

Planet said...

Happy birthday to Samuel! The cupcakes look awesome! I love the "bug" them! Tell Zac he should be very proud of his bug!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...