Tuesday, April 19, 2011

love story

A couple weeks ago Zac and I got to go on a real "date" (which I'll write about sometime) and while we were out and about, I picked up my ring from the jeweler. I finally got it sized so I can actually wear it!

The original size of the bands haven't fit me since sometime during my pregnancy with Abigail when I retained a ton of water and swelled up like a beachball. Yeah, she is almost 12. And I never did ever get back to my pre-pregnancy size in anything (not even my feet). Then I re sized the diamond ring sometime, ohh I don't know, it was either before or after my pregnancy with Samuel. But it's been somewhere around 6 years or so since I could wear that either.

I just hated this rather expensive and very tangible reminder of how much weight I've gained since being the petite little thing I was when I got engaged at 22. I didn't want to have to know how much bigger my fingers really were. And I didn't want to admit that I will most likely never be that skinny again. It felt like failure. Ugh. So I just didn't do anything about it.

But, you know. Being a married woman and all, and carrying around this gaggle of wee ones, sometimes it's nice to clearly signal to all the world that I am indeed married. And I've missed my pretty ring.

Zac picked it out all by himself. Well, with the help of 2 of his roommates who had known me since our freshman days and also knew me pretty well. And they all 3 agreed on this ring for me. I thought it was sweet, thinking of Zac talking it over with these other 2 guys, deliberating, deciding if they thought I would like it, if it "fit" me, if this was The Kristen Ring. I loved being completely surprised by it.

Anyway, so I've occasionally worn an old simple band of Zac's mother's (then I outgrew it). And I bought a $20 band from Walmart one day in desperation to have something on my finger when we went on a trip or something. And my mom gave me another little band she found once on a beach or something. But . . . nothing ever replaced my real ring (quite obviously).

So, coming home from the jeweler's the other day, I felt like I was a newlywed again, or newly engaged. I just couldn't stop looking at this pretty shiny thing on my finger. It felt new all over again.

And so, even though as I posed and tried to take a picture of the ring on my finger I was shocked by how much older my hands look than I ever realized (when did that happen?!), in some ways I feel young again. I feel a little like waving my hand around and hoping someone will notice this "new" addition on my finger, it feels like announcing again that, Look! I have a ring! Look, I'm married! Look, everyone, look! I am loved. :)

5 comments:

Mom B. said...

Beautiful picture! Love reading your posts.

Jane said...

It is a gorgeous ring! I'm so glad you have it back now on your pretty hand :D

Ellie said...

I'm glad you are loved. :-) I had my engagement ring re-sized sometime during my 5th pregnancy -- not to my pregnant size, but since I couldn't wear it anyway that seemed like a good time to do it. Then after she was born I lost a lot of weight and my rings got nice and loose and every time they rattled a little bit I felt skinny. Now I am heading into another summer pregnancy and I know they won't fit much longer. I always feel the lamest when we celebrate our anniversary when I am 8 months pregnant and I have no ring. It just feels wrong! Glad yours fits again.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

That's a great story. I'm glad you have your ring back, I'm sure that feels wonderful. It is pretty, good job to Zac and friends for picking it out.

Colleen said...

Very pretty! You know, I've recently lamented (not really, just noticed) how old my hands are starting to look. But after a week in a nice humid climate, they looked young again! I think you and I just need a little lotion. Too bad I'm too lazy for lotion. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...